The Maryland Horsemen's Assistance Fund, Inc. is a 501c-4 charitable organization established in 1947 to provide necessary financial assistance to eligible employees actively working at Maryland race tracks and/or thoroughbred farms. The Fund is supported by starting gate fees, fines levied by the Stewards and by the Maryland Racing Commission, and private donations.
The Benefits Coordinator administers the Fund as instructed and authorized by a governing Board of Directors, which consists of owners, trainers and industry officials. Members of the Board of Directors furnish their services without compensation.
Types Of Assistance Assistance:
Assistance is determined on a case-by-case basis for the following purposes. There is a dollar amount limit per eligible employee during the calendar year for each type of assistance provided.
Medical Assistance - when not covered by Workers' Compensation or other health or medical insurance.
Mental Health, Drug and Alcohol Counseling and Rehabilitation.
Dental Care - other than for cosmetic purposes.
Eye and Hearing Care.
Advisory Assistance - other than legal, regarding available federal and state programs.
How To Request Assistance:
To request any assistance you must adhere to the following:
To be eligible a Backstretch or Thoroughbred Farm Employee must:
- Have a current MRC license.
- Be currently employed for a minimum of six (6) months in Maryland.
- Be in need of financial assistance, and be prepared to show proof of income and expenses.
- Contact the Benefits Coordinator before seeking any type of service.
- Fill out the appropriate forms.
- Be approved by the Benefits Coordinator or the Board of Directors via the Benefits Coordinator.
- Have an appointment scheduled by the Benefits Coordinator.
- Keep the scheduled appointment. There is an $18.00 fee for broken appointments. Any individual not keeping an appointment will risk the loss of future benefits.
Once the service is pre-authorized, the provider of service will bill the Fund directly. No payments will be made to an individual.
For Information Or Assistance Call: Main Office: Baltimore (410) 902-6843 or race track offices during the track’s live meet:
Laurel Park: (301) 725-0400
Pimlico: (410) 542-9400
Timonium: (410) 252-0200
The Maryland Horsemen's Assistance Fund, Inc. welcomes donations. Consider a donation to the MHAF, the 501c-4 charity that gives to those in need. To make a donation, make checks payable to the Maryland Horsemen's Assistance Fund, Inc. and forward to:
Maryland Horsemen's Assistance Fund
500 Redland Court - Suite 105
Owings Mills, Maryland 21117